Life, y’all. Freaking life.
Where have I been? I’ll tell ya… I’ve been surviving this wife, mom-of-two, small business owner life. Barely – but we’re surviving. I actually planned on a little bit of a longer hiatus for this blog until I got like 7 new followers this week. I’m not sure why but I feel pressure to oblige them in a little bloggy-blog. Luckily – I have some stuff that’s been on my mind so theres plenty for me to write about today.
I don’t know if its my new “settled into my thirties” age or the fact that I have 2 kids or just the fact that more of my true self emerges each day but I have felt an obvious shift in my priorities lately. So consider me inspired…
I don’t want to know your New Year’s Resolutions… I want to know “WHY”… better yet, I want YOU to know your “WHY?”
Metanoia: (n.) the journey of changing one’s mind, heart, self or way of life.
We tend to look into a new year and make mental or physical (if you’re like me and require a pen and paper for life) lists of all of our new years “goals” or “resolutions”. Most of the time they are pretty much the same as millions of others: save money, lose weight, be more healthy, get organized, etc. And that’s all fine and dandy… but WHY are those what you’re asking for within yourself? I say its time to dig a little deeper.
Here’s MY “resolutions” and their “Why’s”… Let me be clear, I’m telling you all these to give you an example of what getting uncomfortable looks like AND so you all (my few loyal readers) can hold me accountable. And maybe, just maybe you’ll find yourself inspired to go after some stuff that matters.
- Find my people and stick with them. I’m not sure how many times I’ve let friendships fall by the wayside because I just don’t have the time. There are memes all over the internet basically saying “There are 24 hours in a day, if they don’t have 2.4 seconds to text you back, get rid of them”. Well, heres what I think about that… BYE FELICIA. If my friendships are falling by the wayside because I can’t talk to you every single day, then maybe you’re not my people. As a busy mom, wife, etc, I need low-maintenance friends. Those that are close to me KNOW that if they need me, I’m the first in line to help. I am going to dedicate 2018 to finding people willing to be as forgiving with me and my lack of good communication skills as I am with them and their laundry list of issues as well. Friendship should be understanding in TWO directions. Time I find my tribe (& actually appreciate them!)
- Take a deep breath and slow down. Watch. Hear. LISTEN. Most adults understand at least this – we have a constant “to-do” list running through our heads all day long. It seems to drown out all the sound around you as you try and stay one step ahead. But what I have realized is that trying to stay one step ahead is keeping me one step behind. My kids are growing so quickly. Minecraft is not exciting to me at all… but my little boys face can’t contain his excitement over a new skin or whatever. Is it really going to throw off my ENTIRE day to take a deep breath and give him my undivided attention? Let go of the to-do list for 5 minutes and look at every freckle forming on his perfect little nose… or to pay attention long enough to see that his feet have almost doubled in size? Life is short you guys – give yourself grace.
- Skin Care. Lets face it… I’m no spring chicken. I also live in the world of “filters” so the pressure to look good in real life kind of disappears. But this is my face, y’all. My only face. It may seem silly but loving yourself doesn’t just mean putting a #loveyourself on your Instagram selfie. It means really taking time. So, I am now making sure that I at least give my face some love before bed – because THIS IS MY FACE, y’all. Oh – if you want my routine… maybe that will be a future blog??
- Surrender. Surrender. Surrender. I am a woman of faith. I love Jesus. I love that my family loves Jesus. With that said – I know that for someone who is so professed to her faith, I don’t surrender to that faith or His plan as often as I should. I’m an OCD control freak. Like I said, I need to be one step ahead… even when it comes to God’s plan for our life and our path. My biggest and most important goal of 2018 and beyond – is to Surrender to Gods Plan for me and my family’s life. To believe that if I am faithful and trust in the wisdom given to me by His Word, we will prevail. I want our life to show that God is present in our home… we may not have a roomba (bc those things are EXPENSIVE) but His Word resonates in the walls of our tiny home. I want our life to be indicative of His Grace – not worldly possessions. Have you ever considered how much pressure would be taken from your shoulders if you surrendered to God’s plan for your life?
- Lastly, go to the gym, eat healthy, save money, get organized and grow our business… because lets face it, I’m still pretty basic. 😉
What are your goals for 2018 and beyond? Why?
My prayer for all of you is that you can find it within yourself to really challenge the status quo and go for the stuff that nobody sees. Give yourself credit – all the rest is just noise.
Happy New Year… Y’all are pretty awesome.